Thursday, August 30, 2012

Mary Moloney Is More


A few nights ago, my wife and I were watching the 10 p.m. newscast on [KSPR] when we heard the anchor report that there have been no confirmed cases of the [West Nile Virus] in Missouri so far this year, according to the [CDC].  We looked at each with a befuddled look on our faces almost immediately.  For we were both sure that we had heard otherwise, and a visit to the CDC website a couple of hours later [confirmed] our suspicions.

Ah, but I took a gentle approach when I sent an email to the anchor.  For I asked if we may have misunderstood what she was reporting.

Well, I didn’t receive an email back from the anchor, but she did pass on my email to the lovely and talented Ms. [Mary Maloney], who did email me back.  As it turned out, Mary had actually written the copy for the piece on mosquitoes threatening to take over [Nixa], and I was delighted with her freely admitting that all of the facts had not been rechecked before going on the air with a story that KSPR had obtained some of from one of their news partners.  I was also delighted with her expressing a desire to get things as right as possible, and I thanked her for wanting to be more than just another very pretty on-air personality.

Yeah, she might have been just shining me on.  For on the very next night, it was reported that a judge had ruled that Apple and Samsung had both infringed upon each other’s patents, and that Apple would be owing Samsung a tidy sum of money, which left me with another befuddled look on my face after hearing from CNBC and several other news outlets a day or so earlier that Apple had clearly won in their lawsuit against Samsung over [patent infringements], but Mary may have had nothing to do with that KSPR report.

Just in case I have left you with a befuddled look of your own, there wouldn’t have been any confusion with the KSPR piece if it had of just included some context.  For the KSPR anchor was reporting on a ruling made by a [South Korean court], which came after the ruling for Apple in an [American court], which is what I had been hearing about before.

Evidently, the markets don’t hold much stock in the South Korean ruling.  For the price for Samsung stock [plummeted] anyway.

In any event, I have no doubt that Mary has some work ahead of her in the fight against misinformation, and I am afraid that she will not be able to get very far with it.  For it couldn’t have become as bad as it has without someone higher up on the management ladder being asleep in front of the monitor.  We’ll be watching to see how it goes.

Please Also Visit:
and

0 comments: