Tuesday, August 2, 2011

The Amy Hestir Student Protection Act




To be quite honest about it, I don’t know what to think about the new [Amy HestirStudent Protection Act], which essentially bans most interaction between students and teachers on social media sites.  For on the one hand, I can see where there might be great potential for things to go very wrong, but on the other, it makes it that much harder to teach a kid something when you act like you don’t want to have anything to do with them outside of the classroom.

Hey, some of my fondest memories of high school were of running across one of my teachers off-campus, and finding that they really were just a regular person.  Of course, if I had not of been allowed and enabled to be such an exceptional student, those meetings might not have been so pleasant.

Alas, I suppose I am knee-jerking as badly as those who support this new Missouri law.  For I understand that a teacher has no business making comments about who is going with whom in their classes, but has this really been going on?

Besides, isn’t there a greater potential for a reaching a student in all of the wrong ways when it comes to private tutoring?  So, will there be a law banning that practice coming soon, or is there already one on the books?  By the way, where were the parents when all of this Facebook flirting was going on?

Please Also Visit:
and

2 comments:

Rational νεόφυτος said...

I just read about this over on Fox. Seems like just another overly-idiotic piece of bureaucratic nonsense.

Unknown said...

Thanks for stopping by again, my dear Lavender!!! I am afraid that this will just succeed in getting a lot of good teachers in trouble while not being a bother to the pedophiles in the least.